[Foundation-l] Stewards are ignoring requests for CheckUser information?

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 22:53:51 UTC 2006

--- Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Birgitte SB wrote:

>    Also since next nothing in our
> > project is available under GDFL it make the
> "freeness"
> > very complicated.  Even public domain is not
> > straightforward.  There are things that are PD in
> the
> > US bur not in England for example.  I could give
> many
> > more inconsistencies of international copyright.
>
> Which is why I did not mentionned a specific
> license. We use several
> licenses for images. Wikinews is not under GFDL.
> What we would all agree
>   probably is the freedom to use content.

The main difference as I see is this.  Wikipedia is
creating content.  WP could chose to make it's content
free or not; they chose to make it free.  Wikisource
has no control on whether our content is free or where
it is free.  We can only choose whether or not to make
it available.  Downstream users are going to have to
evaluate whether they are free to use Wikisource
contect individually unless they are in the United
States.  Our material is under various licenses as
well as public domain (as applicable in the US).  We
cannot give anyone a blanket guarantee the content is
free for them to use whether we include non-commercial
or not.  They are still going to have to evaluate each
license category and judge based on the laws they must
abide by.

> >>Would you be interested to create a group of
> people
> >>whose goals would
> >>be
> >>* To study which languages should be covered in
> our
> >>projects, or not
> >>* To study the wiseness to open a new language of
> >>given project
> >>(according to number of interested editors etc...)
> >>* To gather a collection of pages of rules and
> >>guidelines to
> >>mandatorily
> >>translate in the future language before any
> creation
> >>of the new wiki
> >>* To collect pages to suggest new wikis to help
> them
> >>find their way in
> >>the jungle (with recommandations such as "register
> >>to foundation-l",
> >>"follow requests for permission on meta" etc...)
> >

> >>Do you think that would be interesting ?
> >>If so, would you agree to lead the creation of
> that
> >>group ?
> >

> >>Ant
> >

> > I think that is very interesting and would
> definately
> > want to be involved.  I do not know that I have
> enough
> > conacts amoung people with different language
> skills
> > to start it up myself.  If such group of people
> can be
> > rounded up I would definately want to see this
> > through.  One the first things I feel is needed is
> > updated stats on the current wikis so we can see
> what
> > worked in the past and what has stalled.  Also if
> the
> > stats page gave numbers of admins and buerucrats
> (if
> > any) that might be useful.
>
> We always fall on the same issue Birgitte... many
> would think it great,
> but few would agree to lead such a project. At best
> follow another
> person doing it.
>
> Okay, so... who is motivated to start such a project
> ?
> * which entirely new languages should be accepted or
> opposed  (including
> constructed languages, dialects...)
> * when a new language should be allowed to start in
> a given project
> * making guidelines for those starting a new
> language
> * support to new languages starting (checkuser,
> sysop etc...)
>
> etc...
>
> who is motivated to start such a project ?
>
> Ant

I think new languages should be supported if they seem
likely to suceed establishing an active community.
Before we can judge that or set up any guidelines we
really need more information.  I would very much like
to take the first step in this.  Which I believe is
analizing what has worked or not in the past.  But
right now some of the stats pages are months old and
Wikisource has none at all for individual languages.
I don't know that the information I can get from any
updated stats would really tell what makes a community
sucessfull.  However it should allow us to see what
communities have a certain level of activity.  Then I
think we should ask people from various communities to
fill out a survey about the beginings of their
community and maybe we can find some indicators we can
use to answer your points.

BirgitteSB