[Foundation-l] Stewards are ignoring requests for CheckUser information?

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 21:02:29 UTC 2006

roc wrote:
> Many Chinese editors, including me, have the same concern as what
> Essjay said, and that is why we currently do not have any checkusers
> local to zhwiki
> (http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Checkuser). People worry
> about the possibility that the IP addresses of registered users may be
> leaked to evil hands or regimes (the currently ruling Chinese
> Communist Party is exercising more and more control over Internet for
> its own interests); if that happened, both the individuals and the
> Foundation would suffer; although the chance is low, one incident
> would be enough. Currently, we give our trust to the few users
> appointed by the Foundation, so I think that any new procedures for
> cross-project checkusers need to put this worry in consideration. (The
> Chinese community continue to debate whether we really need local
> checkusers and what more stringent selecting criteria and monitoring
> procedures for local checkusers should be adopted.)
>
> roc (zh:User:R.O.C)

Ermmm, Roc... just to clarify...

None of the checkusers have been appointed by the Foundation. They were
all chosen by their local communities.
None of the stewards (who can do checkuser as well) have been appointed
by the Foundation either. They were all elected on meta, by editors.

This said, the Foundation, I believe, know all current stewards and
trust them.
We only know half of those with checkuser access though.

ant