[Foundation-l] Stewards are ignoring requests for CheckUser information?

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 02:23:10 UTC 2006

--- Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On one hand, our project is held together by a
> couple of major rules,
> which should absolutely be followed by all projects.
> Hmmm, I see only a
> few ones
> 1) general goal of a project should be respected,
> whatever the language.
> 2) content should be freely usable, freely reusable
> and free to modify.
> 3) content should follow NPOV rule
>
> And that's about it.

Although these three rules apply equally to the
Wikipedias the same cannot be said of all projects.
Wikisource and Wikiquote particularly do not hold a
NPOV policy on material.  Of course, editorial notes
are another story but they make up a very, very small
part of our project.  Free to modify is also not a
consideration on Wikisource as we explicitly forbid it
in almost all cases.  Also since next nothing in our
project is available under GDFL it make the "freeness"
very complicated.  Even public domain is not
straightforward.  There are things that are PD in the
US bur not in England for example.  I could give many
more inconsistencies of international copyright.

> On the other hand, our project is not run in a
> top-down fashion. There
> is no reason why the Foundation should know or
> approve local project
> policies.  So, generally, I see not why "this is not
> good" unless the
> policy is about the goal, or the licence or the
> npov.

I do not think things should be run completely from
the top down.  But we should have some basic
guidelines similar to what you gave above actually on
the wikis somewhere and translated in the correct
language at the very least.

>Would you be interested to create a group of people
>whose goals would
>be
>* To study which languages should be covered in our
>projects, or not
>* To study the wiseness to open a new language of a
>given project
>(according to number of interested editors etc...)
>* To gather a collection of pages of rules and
>guidelines to
>mandatorily
>translate in the future language before any creation
>of the new wiki
>* To collect pages to suggest new wikis to help them
>find their way in
>the jungle (with recommandations such as "register
>to foundation-l",
>"follow requests for permission on meta" etc...)

>Do you think that would be interesting ?
>If so, would you agree to lead the creation of that
>group ?

>Ant

I think that is very interesting and would definately
want to be involved.  I do not know that I have enough
conacts amoung people with different language skills
to start it up myself.  If such group of people can be
rounded up I would definately want to see this
through.  One the first things I feel is needed is
updated stats on the current wikis so we can see what
worked in the past and what has stalled.  Also if the
stats page gave numbers of admins and buerucrats (if
any) that might be useful.

BirgitteSB