[Foundation-l] Stewards are ignoring requests for CheckUser information?

Essjay essjaywiki at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 20:13:36 UTC 2006

I don't know that the issue that concerns me is the same that concerns
the Foundation, but I know what scares the hell out of me about
Checkuser is this:

We have users from all over the world. Not all of them live in countries
where their safety is guaranteed; there are, most assuredly, editors
from regimes where if their personal information was discovered, they
could be imprisoned and perhaps even killed. That terrifies me, because
I don't want anybody dying over Wikipedia, nor do I want them to end up
in prison. If checkuser falls into the wrong hands (I'm no conspiracy
theorist, but I don't think it's too hard to imagine foreign governments
wanting to hunt down our contributors; after all, at least two have
blocked us flat out already), the result could literally be a matter of
life and death. *Life and death.*

Some people have advocated granting checkuser liberally, and I disagree
strongly with that; I'm not even particularly comfortable with the idea
of it being election-based at all, although I trust the Board, and I
don't believe they would have allowed for local elections if they
weren't convinced it was safe. I do think, however, that it should be
kept to as few users as possible, whether that means having guest
checkusers as Kelly & I have advocated, or whether it means some  other
system. I for one am certainly willing to perform checks for other
projects (indeed, I offered to do so for Wikisource), and I am sure that
some of the others would as well (Kelly has already stated her
willingness to do so).

As I said, I can't say that the dire scenario I laid out above is what
the Board has in the back of their minds when thinking about checkuser,
but I certainly know it is what is in mine. I really don't want to turn
on CNN some morning and see "[Insert country here] dissident
assassinated after link to Wikipedia discovered."

Essjay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org/