[Foundation-l] Stewards are ignoring requests for CheckUser information?

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Apr 14 12:49:39 UTC 2006

Essjay wrote:

>Perhaps this would be an appropriate time to say "Maybe we could use a
>couple more stewards?"
>
>Essjay

Or perhaps the minimum requirement for the number of votes for users to
get checkuser status on smaller projects like en.wikibooks is
unreasonable?  We have had a couple of candidates for checkuser status
for almost two months now, and we simply can't get the number of votes
necessary because of the size of our active user base.  Yet we are the
target of repeated vandalism, and even sockpuppet voting from die-hard
sock puppets.  If the concern is that checkuser privileges are going to
be abused, it is a smaller user base that can be abused.

Should projects be allowed to set their own standards for people with
this status, or is it something that is imutable and only set by the
Foundation board?  So far, only Wikipedias are seemingly allowed to have
somebody with checkuser status at all.  And if stewards are overwhelmed
with this task of dealing with checkuser scans, perhaps the policy needs
to be reviewed.

--
Robert Scott Horning