[Foundation-l] Placeopedia

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 09:14:07 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Benjamin Webb <bjwebb67 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've just discovered http://www.placeopedia.com/

> I wondered if anyone else had spotted these and whether placeopedia has
> permission to use the Wikipedia logo on its page.

The Board has known about it at least last November. The trademark
committee was supposedly working on a logo use contract then, but this
still hasn't materialised. Until then, no one officially has
permission to use the logo or to make derivatives of it, though many
sites (Placeopedia being one of them) have been told by various people
(though not through formal Board resolution) that there's no objection
to their use pending this policy. Such logos can be added to
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Uses_of_logo_derivatives so there's a
record of who needs to be contacted if and when such a contract ever
exists.

Angela.

--
Angela Beesley