[Foundation-l] Answers.com tool released

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 19:59:01 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
> If Wikimedia really needs money, it should just put some discreet, well chosen advertising on the
> site. Better to advertise some random debt consolidation firm than a company so openly hostile to
> the goals of the free software movement.

A little bit of follow on...
It appears that the current answers.com tool still has the same
license terms as their initial tool.
http://wikipedia.answers.com/main/legal_notices.jsp#terms

The terms require users of the answers.com tool to agree to various
restrictions which are overtly incompatible with the GFDL.  Because I
raised this concern in the initial discussion with Jimbo and was
assured that he would take the issue to the Answers.com CEO, I can
only conclude that these unacceptable terms are are intentional and
not merely an oversight.

As a result I have removed the answers.com tool from the tools page.

Before I send out the notice to answers.com to discontinue
distributing my copyrighted works in violation of the GFDL, I'd though
I'd ping the list and find out if anyone else has already done so...
No need to flood them with initial takedown requests.