[Foundation-l] Next step in the spam arms race.

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Apr 9 15:06:41 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>Seems like the spammers have found the web equivalent of an smtp open relay.
>
>For example:
>[http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/DOWNLOAD/sb/index.htm sitz bath]
>[http://www.buddy4u.com/view/?u=monophonic+ringtone monophonic ringtone]
>[http://www.buddyprofile.com/viewprofile.php?username=nextelringtone
>nextel ringtone]
>

>Things like this make nofollow more attractive all the time.  Has
>there ever been any discussion on perhaps allowing a white-list for
>non-spam sites that we won't no-follow?  This would be useful for
>wikis who don't want to kill all their externals with no-follow.

As a general policy, this would be inappropriate use of user pages on
Wikimedia projects and I wouldn't hesitate to delete conent of this
nature immediately if found, block the user account, and seek a
checkuser scan to block the IP address as well (if it were initiated
from a registered user account).  Link spamming has been a persistant
problem on Wikimedia projects anyway, although there has been some
efforts to try and root that problem out by preventing new users and
anonymous ip addresses from adding external links to pages.

In term of general spamming and such, yeah, the internet is a far
different place than it was 15 years ago when I got my first regular
internet e-mail account and was involved with USENET.  Spam has all but
completely killed that service.  I wish the various ISPs were more
agressive in policing their users against this sort of activity, but it
is economically useful to ignore that spamming even occurs with their
accounts.

--
Robert Scott Horning