[Foundation-l] Adult and Illegal content on Wikimedia projects

Birgitte Arco birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 12:28:24 UTC 2006

--- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> Robert Scott Horning wrote:
>
> >Gavin Chait wrote:
> >

> >>Take this a little further, though.  A "guide" to
> terrorism (or rape for
> >>that matter) exposes how the "trick" is performed
> and so allows others to
> >>come up with strategies to combat that act.
> >>
> >>The question, of course, is whether or not that
> ups the game.  Every new
> >>computer virus that comes out has to get through
> an ever more sophisticated
> >>set of virus scanners and so there is an
> evolutionary process.
> >>
> >>But the terrorist attack of September 11 already
> upped that game.  Surely it
> >>is helpful to know how terrorists and other
> nutcases plan their attacks so
> >>that we, who are not homicidal, can at least have
> some insight into how the
> >>other side thinks?
> >>

> >Thank you for expressing your opinion on this
> matter.  I would like to
> >point out, however, that it is opinions like this
> that seem to encourage
> >this type of content to remain, and is at odds with
> what Jimbo seems to
> >have been saying that this should be deleted
> immediately without even a
> >VfD vote as a form of vandalism.  This is exactly
> the dilemma that I'm
> >facing right now, to completely ignore opinions
> like this one above or
> >to take it into consideration to form a community
> concensus.

Perhaps another way to approach this is with
requirements on verifiablity.  If Wikibooks poclicy
would limit itself to information that is verifiable
by reputable sources (of course that would need to be
defined)and not just randomly found on the internet
that would cut out alot of this material.  I also
think that policy would have very little collteral
damage on the information you do want, although I am
not familar enough with the scope of Wikibooks to be
sure of that.

Birgitte SB