[Foundation-l] New Proposal: WikiMemory

Traroth traroth at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 20 09:05:26 UTC 2005

--- "Poe, Marshall" <MPoe at theatlantic.com> a écrit :

> Just a quick reply to Mark on peer review. The
> memoirs would not be anonymous. Any reporter worth
> his or her salt would try to track down the witness
> to see if he/she were credible.  If the source could
> not be found, or was found to be less than credible,
> then the reporter/researcher wouldn't use him/her.
> This is SOP in all credible journalism, and works
> the same for all sources, no matter where they come
> from.  Moreover, if a user (such as a reporter)
> finds that a source is not credible, then this could
> be added to the metadata (a bit like the discussions
> on Wikipedia entries).

Seems complicated. Is it doable ? I'm not sure we have
the means to do it. But if we have, it could be great.

> You are certainly right that controversial events
> will attract POV accounts, and even falsified
> accounts. We'll have to trust that users will
> understand this, and help identify bad actors.  But
> I would say that for the vast majority of memoirs,
> POV won't really come into play.  I saw one of the
> last Led Zeppelin concerts with the original line
> up.  My POV is that it was great, but I have a lot
> of other observations that Zep fans and folks
> interested in the history of Rock and Roll will be
> interested in. Particularly in 100 years.

I'm not sure POV is a problem in this very case, as
long the contributors are honest. The sense of the
project, if I understood right, is precisely to get
testimonies, which means point of view. If you want
objective historical facts, don't ask the man of the
street for testimony.

Traroth