[Foundation-l] New Proposal: WikiMemory

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Mon Sep 19 22:51:58 UTC 2005

Thanks for your comments, Lars.

I agree with most of what you said. The primary mission of a library of memoirs like
Wikimemory is to collect, maintain and disseminate memoirs. As Anthere rightly said the
other day, there are already ways of doing this. People do write memoirs, those memoirs
are sometimes printed, and the resulting books are sometimes deposited  and cataloged in
libraries (or even made available in bookstores). Oral history projects (such as that funded
by Steven Spielberg for Holocaust Survivors) also exist. The problem with all
existing ‘memory’ projects, however, is that they just don’t end up recording very much.

I have been a historian of Russia for two decades, and am currently writing a book on
Stalin’s Purges (“The Great Terror”) of the 1930s. I would love to have a huge repository
of memoirs on the subject. True, a few exist, and some are very good. But there just aren’t
enough to get a really good, on-the-ground picture of what happened. The same can be
said, I think, of almost every major historical event of the 20th century and before, with the
possible exceptions of the Holocaust and the American Civil Rights movement, both of
which were the focus of very well funded oral history projects.

The reason good memoirs are so few and poorly disseminated is simple: they are mostly in
books.  Books are hard to write, hard to publish, hard to move, and hard to store. It is
true, as Lars says, there are ways to avoid book (and wikis) and record memoirs on the web
(blogs and such). But isolated blogs a mode for building a massive memoir library (MML)
 have problems.

1. Very few people will write blog-memoirs, so the present would still be lost to the future.
 If, on the other hand, the publicity engine that is Wikimedia got behind WikiMemory, then
it might become common to write your memoirs (because it was easy, fashionable, and
“everyone’s doing it.”

2. Isolated blog memoirs would be ephemeral.  More than likely that your website (blog)
 will die when you do, so the info will be practically lost). If, on the other hand, WikiMedia
dedicated itself to the long term preservation of the memoirs, they would be more likely to
survive.

3. Even if they did survive in the long term, isolated memoirs would be lost *without some
central repository or index.* If, on the other hand, all the memoirs were in one place
(WikiMemory) and indexed by users, then they would be pretty easy to find in 500 years.

Perhaps, as Lars suggests, a wiki might not be the right software for the project.  As long as
the software allows the easy entry, preservation and dissemination of the memoirs in one
place, the goal will be achieved.  And while we might be able to build a massive memoir
library (MML) without a universally editable wiki, it seems to me that it will be difficult
to build it without WikiMedia.

Respectfully, Marshall