[Foundation-l] Speedy deleting images w/o explicit license

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 04:49:43 UTC 2005

> Well, I've been warning about this for a long time.  We used to have a
> lot more untagged images, and a huge and ongoing project got rid of the
> problem for almost all of the good stuff.  What's left is... well, most
> of it has to go away.

Japanese Wikipedia contains a lot of untagged images; once some of
them were listed on the vote for deletion, but survived. In
discussion, the explanation the below was supported by many editors.
"until a certain point, Japanese Wikipedia declared "uploaded images
will be released under GFDL" so untagging isnt equal to that no
information is provided. Those old uploaded images could be considered
under GDFL since the uploadered accepted the condition implicitely."
The consensus of JA community goes so, including images uncredited
(without information of photographer)

My concern is if it is an acceptable solution glrobally, because it
could affect other projects, specially Commons. If not, the current
image policy on Ja should be modified.

The problem was discovered one of those images appeared as Featured
Image on Commons. It was transwikied to Commons as GFDL image by
another editor than the original uploader. Later it was listed as
deletion candidate on Commons and an equivalent was uploaded to
Commons. But I am not sure all those transwikied images from JAWP to
Commons are limited among clearly tagged images by the original
uploaders.

--
Aphaea@*.wikipedia.org
email: Aphaia @ gmail (dot) com