[Foundation-l] Speedy deleting images w/o explicit license

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Sep 18 10:09:33 UTC 2005

Roberto Frangi wrote:
> I agree completely with Brion. On it.wikipeida we have recently agreed
> on a proposal to remove all unverified images and also a lot of fair use
> images (or should I call them fair abuse?). No matter what the upload
> dialog states, people seems to be struck by selective blindness when it
> comes to uploading images. I had to put a warning just above the "Source
> fimename:" box. It's written in red and with a bigger font size. It says
> somithing like: "Warning: Files lacking an indication of the source and
> the licence under which  are released will be deleted!". Well, seems
> that some people still are unable to read it (even if they are less than
> in the past). Is there any way  to make  the phrase blinking?
> I've spent the last three weeks deleting images from it.wikipedia and i
> can tell you 90% of images are just grabbed somewhere else. You can tell
> the difference,  genuine images are usually bigger in size.

The main thing to look out for is that too strong an encouragement may
encourage some people to lie.  People found lying about image sources
should be blocked from editing.

It might be better to let them upload and then delete it, rather than
set up incentives for people to lie.  (This is harder for us to detect
than if there is no source at all!)

--Jimbo