[Foundation-l] New Proposal: WikiMemory

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Sep 16 19:24:41 UTC 2005

Traroth wrote:

>Well... Why not ? Are you people OK with testimonies
>like "I was there when US army shooted on Hotel
>Palestine in Bagdad" or "I was in the jails of Abu
>Graib" ?

I think this sort of thing would be very problematic.  When it comes to
contentious topics, like Israel-Palestine, people have repeatedly
demonstrated that they are willing to completely fabricate eye-witness
accounts to make one or the other side look bad.

Published eye-witness accounts can also be fabricated, of course, but
have the benefit that since they're in the public sphere of published
work, the more questionable oens have often attracted published
refutations.  Similarly, books on controversial subjects are often
reviewed in the 'book review' sections of journals.  A purported
eyewitness account added directly to a wiki doesn't benefit from any of
that sort of peer review.

-Mark