[Foundation-l] New Proposal: WikiMemory

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 00:12:34 UTC 2005

--- "Poe, Marshall" <MPoe at theatlantic.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the comments, Mav.
>
> In my conception (hardly original or final), Wikimemory would focus on
> common, significant, historical *experiences* rather than the
> individuals.  The top level categories in Wikimemory would, then, be
> historical experiences: "The Vietnam War," "The Cultural Revolution,"
> "Encounters with Jimmy Carter," "The Red Sox winning the World Series,"
> "The Beatles Final Concert," "Hurricane Katrina" and so on.  Pretty much
> anything with a witness, a place, a date and a bit of significance to
> "your community" (very broadly defined) would fit.
>
> Both Wikipeople and (to a lesser extent) Wikimemorial seem focused on
> individuals, and that seems to me to be a separate, important kind of
> information.  Does that make sense?

Well the idea is to also focus on events where lots of people died. Not unlike
what the Sep11wiki was supposed to be but not focused on any one event.

That would cover at least part of what you´d like to do with Wikimemory. I´m
just not sure if there would be enough overlap to merge the proposals or not.

-- mav