[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimania 2006: City applications , a cheerful note

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:31:44 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com> wrote:

> ie. do something ;)  (Hey, I'm workin' on it...)

Was I that obvious? Lol, I was worried that people would let
themselves be put off by minor problems. We have a month to build this
together and overcome difficulties.

> No, but really, thanks for that Delphine. By the way, is the budget
> available for Wikimania 2005 - just to give a sense of what priceline
> we're thinking of, how much sponsorship you got etc..?

The forecast budget was of 100K euros, including payment for
accomodation for 200 people, food for 300 people. The final budget, on
which I am still working, was covered in part by people's
particpation, in part by sponsorships. (30 000 euros from Gurunet,
5000 USD by Social Text, 2500 euros by Doccheck, 1000 Euros by Sun for
he party). The final budget will be less than 100K euros, but this is
an acceptable figure.

This said, I don't think we should start comparing what prices were
what etc. For all you know next year there's going to be 500 of us, or
100, you can't really take this figure as a comparative one.

We're going to be working to find the necessary sponsorship if the
location suits our needs. It should also be much easier next year than
it has been this year to raise awareness and get sponsors for
Wikimania. We're growing bigger ;-). The sponsors this year seem to
have liked what we did and the press coverage was great, which allows
for a greater potential. Don't let yourself be  put off by figures,
try to find the best location ever ;-).

Delphine
--
~notafish