[Foundation-l] Wikijunior as a new Sister Project

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 12:32:49 UTC 2005

--- Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> I'm reposting here a comment that was posted in [[b:Talk:Wikijunior]]:
>
>     During the upcoming September 18 Wikimedia Foundation board meeting,
>     the Board will discuss registering a seperate domain for Wikijunior,
>     presumably wikijunior.org. Presumably Wikijunior will still be
>     developed on Wikibooks, but it will go live on a seperate site.
>     Alternatively, we could have en.wikijunior.org for viewing, and
>     en2.wikijunior.org for editing, which would allow for a greater ease
>     in developing pages, as they could be part of a freeform
>     encyclopedia (on limited topics), rather than the isolated books
>     they are now. If we were to develop off Wikibooks, I'd like us to
>     retain most, if not all of the structure of Wikibooks, it's worked
>     well so far. -- user:zanimum http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:Zanimum

So long as development continues on Wikibooks, it will continue to be a
WikiProject of that project. The existence of a separate stable copy on the
Internet would not make it a separate project. Projects are where development
occurs. The idea of having a separate stable copy elsewhere is little different
than the reuse of Wikipedia content on other websites. The only real difference
is that the foundation would own and control the WikiJunior static version.

But yeah, having *editing* on a separate wiki would be the creation of a
separate project and needs community approval before a board vote. I don’t see
any need for separate development. What I do see a need for are significant
changes to MediaWiki to allow for book-like features on Wikibooks. Each and
every book on Wikibooks suffers from this lack of functionality. WikiJunior is
not special in that regard.

-- mav