[Foundation-l] Benefits of advertising (was Our exponentially increasing costs)

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:03:24 UTC 2005

> I think recent discussion on en: re the Answers.com deal has
> established that if we put ads on en: Wikipedia, a significant
> proportion of contributors will feel sufficiently betrayed and ripped
> off to get up and *leave*. Certainly enough to start a viable fork.
> For no good reason of operating policy, and to the detriment of both
> forks.

I wonder how they'd pay for their fork...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the choice is between a
website with ads and no site at all, I'll take ads.

The relatively small number of editors who will throw a hissy-fit off
won't be missed - new editors arrive all the time, and many eventually
crawl back after a public foot-stomping session anyway.

Dan