[Foundation-l] Re: Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation...

Amgine amgine at saewyc.net
Tue Oct 25 14:45:54 UTC 2005

This has been an exciting discussion from the spectator POV. But I'd
like to bring up a few wiki points:

# Only intervene if a problem exists, and then only the least amount
necessary to address the issue.

#: Funding is an existing problem. Wikipedia usability is an existing
problem. The proposed item appears, to me, to address both, while not
increasing system costs.

# Assume good faith.

#: The persons who are involved in this effort are very likely aware
of the potential issues, and are bringing this to the community in a
time and effect constrained manner - a 60 day trial period, and
they're talking to us nearly 90 days before they even start that.
Seems to me to be a good-faith effort to avoid possible community
issues, and to hear from all parts of the community, and we should
assume they have the best interests of everyone at heart.

# Avoid bad  feelings, edit wars, and disruptive behaviour. Be polite.

#: We have clear differences of opinion. Although some here feel the
issues are stark, black and white, it is also clear that others feel
it is a continuum of greys. Respect that other  people feel
differently, and strongly, about the issues. Consider if what you want
to say is specifically helpful, and avoid rhetoric which is only
attempting to support one of many valid opinions.

# Be bold.

#: Changes happen. They can be reverted if they are shown to be a
problem.

Amgine

BTW: Board, Officers, etc? Thanks for your patience.