[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Oct 24 14:52:20 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkins writes:
> So what happens in this hypothetical scenario where we accept a
> significant contribution from a corporation, and 6 months into the
> partnership they turn around and say "we don't like that bit on the
> article which criticises us, remove it or we pull the funding"?

Then we tell them to fuck off.

> I understand the need for money for the Foundation, I just disagree with
> the idea that going to a corporation for donations is the best way to do
> it. I am open to persuasion on this (of course), so please don't think I
> am arguing for argument's sake.

It has been my longstanding policy to seek support for our work from a
diversity of sources.  We were offered complete hosting for everything
from a major internet company, and I simply turned it down, even though
it would have made our lives a lot easier in a lot of ways.  I turned it
 down because it was _too much_.

--Jimbo