[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Mon Oct 24 14:30:47 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I will never bow to any sort of pressure of that kind, and one of the
> reason partnerships like answers.com are so important is precisely to
> avoid our having to rely on a few large donors.

[...]

> NPOV is non-negotiable.

So what happens in this hypothetical scenario where we accept a
significant contribution from a corporation, and 6 months into the
partnership they turn around and say "we don't like that bit on the
article which criticises us, remove it or we pull the funding"?

I understand the need for money for the Foundation, I just disagree with
the idea that going to a corporation for donations is the best way to do
it. I am open to persuasion on this (of course), so please don't think I
am arguing for argument's sake.

Chris