[Foundation-l] Re: Our exponentially increasing costs

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 05:59:15 UTC 2005

On 24/10/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> As someone else said, surely the features aren't helping. But with good
> design, you can have features and efficiency. I'll admit that there has been
> some progress in this regard in the past year, but there are still some
> major design flaws in the mediawiki software and the overall architecture of
> the system which are causing the hardware costs to be much more than they
> should be. This might have been reasonable in the past when the cost of
> hardware was low, but those days are over.

I'd love to hear from the devs about this , but my impression is that
the system is very highly optimised. If you think you can do better,
write the code!

> At least there's a CTO now,
> though his user page curiously says he's "On WikiBreak".

He's on a break from contributing to Wikipedia - I can assure you,
Brion is very busy writing and managing Mediawiki code!

> And considering
> that I don't recall there ever being a period where Wikimedia advertised
> that it was hiring this position I have my doubts that they can be so sure
> he's the most qualified person for the position.

Well, he wrote a lot of the software himself, so it's a fair bet he
knows it best :-).

Dan