[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 05:47:15 UTC 2005

On 23/10/05, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> > Promoting a company or product in return for payment is advertising,
> > pretty much by definition...
>
> A link to a tool is not advertising. It is a link to a tool.

To quote Angela:

"That page will highlight the "1-Click Answers, Wikipedia Edition"
software"

To quote the press release:

"The Wikimedia Foundation. Wikipedia will create a Tools page on its
English-language site to promote useful tools that access Wikipedia,
and 1-Click Answers, Wikipedia Edition, will receive charter placement
on that page."

That sounds like more than just a link.

Let's be honest, they're buying advertising. To pretend that it is
anything other than that is delusional.

Yes of course we need to find new ways of raising money. I wouldn't
object to Google Ads running on the site, if the choice was between
that and no site at all :-). However trying to sneak advertising in
without asking anyone, and also trying to pretend that it's not
advertising when it is, well, that's not good.

Hopefully though we'll get more coporate sponsorship. The Yahoo
cluster still has a lot of spare capacity, and Google might actually
honour that offer of support one day...

Dan