[Foundation-l] Privacy concerns

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Oct 22 20:09:30 UTC 2005

Chris Jenkinson wrote:
> We had a rather large discussion today on privacy and its application on
> Wikipedia (specifically anonymous editing and the checkuser tool which
> is the subject of much debate at the moment).

That's two distinct issues:

* If you contribute to the wiki without creating an account, your edits
are publicly identified with your network location instead of a name.

* Private internal logs associate for a limited time all edits with the
network location they were made from, and a small number of trusted
people have access to this information for the purpose of investigating
misuse of the service.

> I am curious to whether the Wikimedia Foundation's privacy policy is
> compatible with EU legislation on privacy (which is tightly regulated),
> and whether it is obliged to be, as the Foundation hosts servers in the
> European Union (which are presumably subject to EU law).

I've been asking this for years... Check South Korea's laws as well, as
we have servers there too.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)