[Foundation-l] Authoring on wikijunior : providing private information.

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Oct 4 13:57:45 UTC 2005

Jean-Baptiste Soufron wrote:

> As far as I understood this is not mandatory information but only
> recommended stuff.
>
> One fact is that identification of the author and of his year of death
> is very important for copyright law since his work will fall into
> public domain 70 years after he died.
>
> But there is nothing mandatory in these informations !
>
> Jean-Baptiste Soufron, Legal
> CERSA-CNRS PARIS 2

Is there any reason why we should not collect this information as
voluntary information fields on the user configuration page?  Are there
any realisitc legal roadblocks or some other reason why this information
should not be there associated with the contributions to each change
with the Wikimedia projects?

This seems as though I'm asking for identification numbers like Social
Security numbers, bank account information, or other related
information.  I am not.  What I am asking for is that if you want to
claim copyright on your contribution, you need to give this minimum
amount of information for legal protection and to give a realistic
copyright claim on your contributions.  As it stands right now, there is
no way that you can realisticly claim copyright on any of your
contributions right now, and certainly there is no way that you can
resolve potential copyright claims on material if it goes to court in a
dispute.

I really don't see what the big deal about this is anyway.  If you want
to be an anonymous contributor... even with a "registered user" account,
that is still possible.  That will not be taken away, but at the same
time you can't be anonymous and maintain control of copyright.  Those
are mutually exclusive issues.  And all content for Wikimedia projects
is copyrighted... just with generous redistrubtion licenses available to
anybody who is interested.

I guess it will take a formal legal disupte to force the issue here, but
by then it will be too late.  I would be willing to be an "expert
witness" for a plaintiff willing to invalidate copyright claims for
anybody who has currently done contributions toward Wikimedia Foundation
projects right now.

--
Robert Scott Horning