[Foundation-l] Most read US newpaper blasts Wikipedia

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Nov 30 22:57:51 UTC 2005

Magnus Manske wrote:
> There is a radical alternative, which I have begun to code a few weeks
> ago. It alters a MediaWiki installation to "import-only", replacing
> editing with an import function for an article version from wikipedia.

This'll be a complete waste; no one will ever look at the "frozen" wiki and
it'll be ignored. (Being 'wiki' or not is not relevant; it'll simply never ever
been seen. To be useful, the stable versions need to be right out front and
fully integrated into *.wikipedia.org where people are already looking.)

What we need is a tagging system within the wiki, for a review team to use to
mark certain revisions in certain states.

Articles with verified revisions will show those by default to the public, with
a notice at the top of the screen about their status and if there are newer
edits available.

Articles without verified revisions will have a notice at the top that they
haven't been reviewed, making clear the 'in-progress' state of the system.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)