[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Wed Nov 30 20:43:03 UTC 2005

Walter van Kalken wrote:

> Yes I agree with the referencing point. But in some articles on en: all
> sentences receive external links. Which is overdoing it imho. An article
> should have general references in the reference section. Like Books
> x,y,z, etc, websites a,b,c, etc. But not a reference for every sentence.
> That is overdoing it.

It depends on the article. Mostly those will be highly contentious
articles where the content of the sentences was in fact questioned. See
the talk page.

(I have occasionally written defensively on matters of controversy
between the participants, referencing each phrase.)

>> This isn't panicking. This is doing what we should have been doing all
>> along, and treating our article content with the same importance that
>> we treat our image content. This is a step in the right direction.

> It is panicking if I watch the deletion list on en: On which a perfectly
> legit article by a highly regarded nl: contributor was put up dor
> deletion by someone who doesn't know anything about the subject but
> Quotes CITE and some other policies.

Another nomination from ignorance, apparently. I'm not surprised there
are now webcomics about the way deletion works on en: in practice.

 The user wasn't even explained on
> his own page why it was put up for deletion.

I floated this idea on AFD's talk page. Apparently the regulars consider
it too much effort.

- d.