[Foundation-l] Most read US newpaper blasts Wikipedia

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Wed Nov 30 14:19:27 UTC 2005

 Marshall wrote:
> Re the first amendment, and the authors failure to edit his own
> article, etc.
> The Wikipedia project itself bears some responsibility here. If you
> are going to provide a soapbox for folks to stand on and exercise
> their first amendment rights, you are in part responsible for what
they say.

Pawel responded:
>>Many Wikipedians live in countries with no "first amendment".

And that, we all agree, is a shame.  Free speech should be protected
everywhere, period.  But it also needs to be used responsibly
everywhere, period.

So the point is the same: if you are going broadcast someone's speech
(free or not), you are in part responsible for what they say.  I'm not a
lawyer, but Wikipedia *seems* to be acting as a publisher and perhaps
editor. What will Wikipedia (or the Wikimedia Foundation) do if it is
sued for libel? Could this happen?

All the Best,

Marshall Poe
The Atlantic Monthly