[Foundation-l] Re: Cleaning up Wikibooks

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Nov 25 22:05:50 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:
> The cookbook : I had a long time fight with Gentgeen, when he started
> moving all (or nearly all recipees) away from en.Wikipedia. I tried
> desperatly to keep them in Wikipedia, but most were moved nevertheless I
> think. I did not oppose recipees being in Wikibooks, but simply, maybe
> because french, I consider many recipees are "cultural", so have their
> place in an encyclopedia.

I agree with Anthere that recipes can quite properly go into the
encyclopedia, but this is a battle we lost a long time ago.

To my knowledge, there is no one supporting the idea that the cookbook
should be removed from wikibooks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471286796/102-8042500-9168961?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

"Produced by the Culinary Institute of America as a textbook for
chefs-to-be, The New Professional Chef, Sixth Edition, is a book for all
who love to cook, as well as students of the craft. It's a cooking
school between covers, a teaching and reference work of extraordinary
breadth."

[...]

"The hundreds of recipes (500 new to this edition) are designed for 10
or more servings; though reducible, their outstanding usefulness lies in
revealing dish anatomy--the way recipes work."

A cookbook is very much a textbook.

--Jimbo