[Foundation-l] Re: A proposal for new language creation

valdelli at bluemail.ch valdelli at bluemail.ch
Fri Nov 25 16:15:16 UTC 2005

>I don't think we're talking about an interlegibility criterion here, at

>least that's not how I understand Jimbo's proposal. Certainly nobody
>objects to separate wikis for the Scandinavian languages. The issue is
>not whether native speakers of one language can read material in another
>language. It's whether there are native speakers who actually read and
>write in this as a literary language at all, as opposed to reading and
>writing in some "other" language of which theirs is merely a dialect.

The criterion of Jimbo is not incorrect. Some philology use the same criterion
to distinguish tongues between dialects.

>Expanding on Jimbo's point, here's the problem with dialect Wikipedias
>(leaving aside, for a moment, the thorny problem of deciding whether
>something is a dialect or a language). Dialects tend to be in a similar

>position to constructed languages, in that they have no pre-existing
>literature and their orthography has to be invented to a significant
>degree. When the standards these establish are missing, we really have
>no factual basis from which to write in such a language. Inventing
>spelling or grammar while you write the encyclopedia, just like
>inventing facts while you write the encyclopedia, is perpetrating an
>intellectual fraud and a hoax.

This is not correct: same tongues can became dialects. The sicilian for example
had a very important literature with Frederick II, Duke of Swabia. Also the
occitanic at moment is not used in literature, or in law courts, or in officials
circumstances.

It's wright that a dialect became tongue where it enriches with "registers",
but a tongue can become dialects when it loses them.

Ilario