[Foundation-l] A proposal for new language creation

valdelli at bluemail.ch valdelli at bluemail.ch
Fri Nov 25 16:01:17 UTC 2005

>> For dialects, then, we want to require a much higher threshold before
>> allowing the wikipedia -- we need a good reason to start it.  A
>> "Bavarian" Wikipedia proposal would need a much much stronger rationale
>> before we start it than "German".  Obviously.
>
>This point isn't enough to clarify when whe should or should not create
>new
>dialect wikipedia, because it's using the unique criteria of interlegibility.
>By exemple, Catalan (my native lang) and Occitan are mutually interlegible

This is not correct. The problem is that some dialects have forgetten their
traditional words. Neapolitan is similar to italian because people don't
speaks the correct Neapolitan. If we read a book (or listen a song) written
in Neapolitan in the previous century also a Neapolitan can have difficulties.

The problem is that: if during the votation someone can exhibits linguistic
studies to support the candidature, the decision can be taken with more reliability.

Ilario