[Foundation-l] A proposal for new language creation

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 10:12:18 UTC 2005

Hoi,
When we consider if a language is appropriate for having a wikipedia, you
may find old respectable languages that have gone in official disuse like
Neapolitan and consequently diverged in spelling because there was no longer
an education in a language. Neopolitan is a  language that some see as a
dialect of Italian. I understand that the Andalusian statute does not say
that Andalusian is a language while it is as different, as distinct as many
of the other languages spoken in Spain. I know that Andalusian is known for
its many songs which is one form of literature. On the I&I conference I
spoke with someone from Guatamala and discussed Mayan languages. I learned
that for many people it is their first and only language. It does not have a
literature or standardised orthography because it is primarily a spoken
language.

My point is that by creating artificial barriers, you prevent us from making
our aim come true; all information for all people. When a small
dialect/language is good for codifying that culture, it serves our purpose.
I doubt that we would get these same people to write about their culture as
much in a language that they are forced to use. When we insist on literature
and one orthography we may exclude the people that use predominantly a
spoken language and prevent us from getting our information to these people.

As I mentioned on the wikitech list, the whole idea of voting is broken
anyway because when you vote for a language, you are supposed to actively
support this project to be while a nay-sayer is excused from any effort.  I
do not vote for Dutch nds or for Andalusian because I will not work on these
projects.

Artificial languages are different from dialects and languages as they do
not represent a culture, a people. Consequently comparing natural and
artificial languages is problematic. It also helps to be a little more
relaxed about artificial languages; even with Klingon it works as a project
for as long as there is a community willing to put a lot of effort in it. As
it is a rather silly thing, I am sure that these people will reach this
conclusion at some point. In the mean time it does not detract from the
value of our other projects. It only becomes a problem when we adopt or care
about the value system of the officious.

Thanks,
     GerardM