[Foundation-l] Re: New language policy

Manuel G R mgrojo at ya.com
Wed Nov 23 23:37:37 UTC 2005

Pawe³ Dembowski wrote:
>>What text are you talking about? All the proposed spellings for the new
>>Wikipedia are intelligible to all Spanish speakers. I don't know of
>>published texts using those spellings. Of course, it is hard to read
>>your language in a totally new spelling, but it is almost a character
>>replacement pattern.
>

> I'm not an Andalusian speaker, I was just asking :). If it's mostly a
> matter of ortography, can't an automated conversion script be used
> like at the Chinese Wikipedia?

I'm sorry if I appeard rude, it wasn't my intention; but English is not
my mother language and I may fail in the expression.

About conversion script, I don't think it would be useful. Most readers
will feel uncomfortable reading texts in a new spelling, even though
when that spelling matches best their speech. I don't know the details
about Chinese, but I suppose some readers will prefer one scripting over
the other.

Regards.
Manuel Gomez. ManuelGR on Meta.