[Foundation-l] Re: new language policy

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Nov 23 15:15:46 UTC 2005

> Anthere wrote:
> >
> > The same problem exist for andalousian language. Many anon votes.
> > Sockpuppetry chances raise high as well.
> >
> > In short, the voting system as is is a pure joke. What do you suggest ?
>
> Currently everyone seems to acknowledge that the existing system is no
> longer functional.  When Angela came up with it, it was a very good
> solution to the problem that we faced at that time, but as time has gone
> on, and we have more and more Wikipedias and we are more and more well
> known, that system has broken down.  We run the risk of making very poor
> judgments, being hoaxed, etc.
>
> 1. I do not support the concept of a "seed wiki" because the test of
> what is a proper decision in this area does not depend solely on the
> ability of a motivated group of people to push their agenda.  I have no
> doubt whatsoever but that we could have a successful (in the sense of
> article count and participation) wiki in "pig latin dialect" (a joke
> language seen in many humorous machine translators on the net) if a
> group of funny people decided to make it.  A seed wiki is not the answer.

This is a strawman.  Having a "seed wiki" doesn't imply that we allow
small groups to push their agenda nor does it imply that a "pig latin"
Wikipedia would develop.

A "seed wiki" is not a wiki where anything goes, it's simply a wiki
where a developer doesn't have to get involved in trying out a new
project idea.  Should Wikipedia limit new article creation to
developers, because otherwise we'll wind up with articles written in
pig latin?  There will always be rules in a seed wiki.  If you don't
want "pig latin" wikis, then you set the rules so that they aren't
allowed.