[Foundation-l] Re: New language policy

ilooy ilooy.gaon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:10:31 UTC 2005

2005/11/23, Jim Trodel <trodel at gmail.com>:
> > and if there is a problem
> > with sockpuppetry, that it is happening
> > on both sides.
> Since I voted immediately before this comment - I am supposing you mean to
> include me in your accusation of sockpuppetry. If you check my accounts I
> have consistently edited under this username - just not frequently on Meta -
> see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Trödel.

Hi Jim,

If you voted immediately before this comment,
I can guarantee you that I had no idea that
you had voted. Do you seem to believe that
the problem with sockpuppetry is only one
sided? Please note that the numbers keep
increasing side by side. If one "Supports"
there is always a following "Oppose", you
don't find this strange? I definitely do.

> I normally stay completely out of the language issues since I find it
> completely boring and I know very little about the languages in question;

How can you then "vote" concerning a new
language wiki???

> however, the arguments *in favor* of this language on the list convinced me
> that I should *oppose*. I do know something of Andalusian - having had a
> missionary companion for 4 months from Cadiz.

I wonder what your "missionary companion"
would say? Is he born and raised in Cadiz?
Then he definitely knows that he speaks
way differently from Castilian. I lived most of my
early life in Seville, and for two years in
Alcala de Henares near Madrid. I can
definitely tell you that the differences are
quite obvious to someone who has lived
in both places and heard the language
spoken. If you can, rent the movie "Poligono
Sur" las tres mil viviendas and then tell
me if the language there sounds to you
like Castilian :-)))

BTW I've visited Cadiz and my family
used to vacation near Cadiz almost
every Summer. I can tell you that
Cadiz speech and Castilian speech
are quite different.

I find it interesting that for someone
who is bored by this issue, and who
knows little about the language difference
would go to the trouble to visit the
Requests for new languages page
and actually vote against a proposed
language. Why would you be so inclined?