[Foundation-l] Re: new language policy

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Tue Nov 22 09:04:26 UTC 2005

>> Objective criteria can be established for this.
>>
>>    1. A key set of interface pages must have been written in or
>> translated into the language,
>>    2. There must be a minimum number of articles exceeding a
>> specified length written in the main namespace of the project, and
>>    3. There must be a minimum number of contributors, EACH of whom
>> has written a minimum number of qualifying articles in the main
>> namespace.
>>
>> Perhaps there could be others too.
>>
>> Ec
>

> Nod. I think these are good criteria;
> But I presume interface can only be translated really if there is a
> separate independant project, rather than a unique seedwiki ?

Please consider that the interface is one of the most difficult parts to
do - with Neapolitan I have part of it online, part of it here and we
are still thinking on how to call certain things in Neapolitan - because
there are no "official terms" for many things - often people use
English, some Italian and some an Englis/Italian that has been adapted
to Neapolitan. I'd say the interface cannot be ready fast - it takes
quite a lot of time to decide, because this is one of these very
particular situations where thanks to Wikipedia neologisms are being
created. I very much listen to young people when they talk about
computers and internet to understand, but believe me: it is more than
just "translating some words".

I'd leave a lot of time for the interface, but I would expect that some
basic articles can be written by anyone: descriptions of towns,
churches, museums etc.

Ciao, Sabine