[Foundation-l] Re: Wikisource Copyright

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Nov 21 20:26:09 UTC 2005

David Newton wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Le Wednesday 16 November 2005 23:48, David Newton a Ã(c)crit :
>

>>It is clear that most of the documents in Wikisource are under public domain,
>>because their copyright has expired. A few new documents are under free
>>licences (GFDLÂor CC) or public domain when the author decided to release
>>them in that way.
>>

>So it sounds to me that documents do not have to be under the GFDL or
>a GFDL-compatible licence, just a licence that allows their
>reproduction on the website. Is that what you are saying?

That's not what he's saying at all. The simple point is that being in
the public domain overrides GFDL or any other licence.

>>>I think fair use doesn't apply to any document in Wikisource because these are
>>>published in their entirety.

In his reply to this Soufron made particular reference to section
104{b)(5) of the United States copyright law. This has the effect of
extending copyright protection under United States law to publications
of the United Nations. It derives from the adherence of the United
States to the Second Protocol of the Universal Copyright Convention
(UCC). That protocol has the effect of extending the applicability of
Article II(1) of the UCC to the certain international organizations
including the United Nations. In turn that article says:

> 1. Published works of nationals of any Contracting State and works
> first published in that State shall enjoy in each other Contracting
> State the same protection as that other State accords to works of its
> nationals first published in its own territory, as well as the
> protection specially granted by this Convention.

So United Nations works are protected in the United States to the same
extent that works of United States citizens are protected in the United
Nations. Unless there is such a thing as a copyright act of the United
Nations, that protection is nothing at all.

If these works are copyright then from when? From 1955 based on the 50
year Berne Convention Rule? From 1964 based on the presumed failure of
the United Nations to renew copyrights on these resolutions? From 1971
based on the year when the United States adopted the Second Protocol?

This still does not address the United States position that laws cannot
be copyrighted as a matter of public policy. That is especially clear in
relation to the federal law of the United States, but less so in
relation to the laws of the several united states and foreign laws. That
begs the question, "What is the legal status of international laws and
resolutions in the United States?" It could easily be argued that as
long as the United States is a member of the legislating organization
those laws have the status of laws of the United States, and are
therefore uncopyrightable.

The applicability of UN copyrights in other countries is still not
solved by this, and may very well depend on their separate national laws.

>[cut]
>

>>>As for fair use, I have posted in the Scriptorium and the response has
>>>disappointed me to say the least. The responses that I have received
>>>have been contrary to the policy of Wikisource as set out at
>>>[[Wikisource: Copyright]] and they indicate to me that the people
>>>concerned do not have a deep understanding of copyright law, or if
>>>they do they choose to ignore those bits of copyright law that they do
>>>not like. The argument for fair use applying to entire documents in
>>>incredibly weak, and no account seems to be take of that fact.
>>>

>>Agreed.
>>

>Given the above what do we do about it? If, as you seem to be saying,
>that licences allowing reproduction on the website other than the GFDL
>can be used, then we need to get a copyright notice at the bottom of
>each copyrighted work on the site setting out the terms under which
>they can be reproduced.

I don't see fair use as being relevant to our publication of the UN
resolutions. I will be the first to agree that fair use is often
misunderstood, and applied to excuse actions that would not otherwise be
acceptable. Some misuse it because they feel it is an easier argument
than going through the work of establishing public domain status; for
others it is an act of desparation when they can find no other basis for
including a desired work. There is nothing in fair use doctrine that
would disallow its applicability to whole works, but such cases would be
uncommon and need to be argued separately.

>>I copy the answer from JB Soufron below:
>>

>>"Actually, the texts on the website of the UN are copyrighted by the UN as
>>mentionned on [the copyright notice]. It is forbidden to reproduce these
>>texts except in the limit mentioned in their [terms of use]. To put it
>>simply, this basic license allow people to reproduce the texts but not to
>>modify them, which seems normal since these are legal texts and that
>>distributing modified versions could induce people in error. I think that
>>wikisource could make a good use of these texts if they come with a proper
>>disclaimer. --Soufron 11:22, 20 November 2005 (UTC)"

Copyright does not arise from the notice alone. There must be authority
for an editor to attach these notices.

Modifying these texts, or any other, would be contrary to the purpose of
Wikisource. I would not consider wikifying a link to an earlier
resolution to be a modification. In any event to the extent that GFDL is
applicable it does allow for sections to be declared invariant.

>>Personally, I don't see anything useful in copying UNÂresolutions on
>>Wikisource. The UN web site is certainly as much as available Wikisource, so
>>I don't understand why we should copy anything from it, since we can't modify
>>anything in these texts anyway.

The usefulness is an issue that is quite different from copyrights. The
UN web site is indeed available, but it does not provide immediate
cross-links between related resolutions. It does not provide
opportunities for other references or commentary. Wikisource has the
potential ability to make them far more useful than they are on the UN site.

>Actually Jean-Baptiste is incorrect about those terms of use. They
>allow people to download the material on the website for their own
>personal, non-commercial use. The UN terms and conditions do not allow
>redistribution or compliation of the material on their website.
>
>http://www.un.org/terms.htm

And what is their basis for making those statements. Terms of Use of
this sort are paper tigers. It is interesting to read the Specht v.
Netscape case at
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/stjohns/Specht_v_Netscape.pdf "We conclude
that in circumstances such as these, where consumers are urged to
download free software at the immediate click of a button, a reference
to the existence of license terms on a submerged screen is not
sufficient to place consumers on inquiry or constructive notice of those
terms.... When products are “free” and users are invited to download
them in the absence of reasonably conspicuous notice that they are about
to bind themselves to contract terms, the transactional circumstances
cannot be fully analogized to those in the paper world of arm’s-length
bargaining."

It would seem that these "Terms of Use" on the UN website do not require
a clear assent on the part of the user. The website will work whether or
not the user views the page of terms, or even knows about it. Nor is
there any specification of legal jurisdiction where a dispute arising
from those terms could be settled. In the absence of a clear contract,
one must conclude that statutory provisions.

>That rules out the resolutions being put on Wikisource, which is
>exactly why I posted this thread in the first place, particularly the
>questions about fair use. The results of the discussion seem to be
>that I am correct in my interpretation of fair use at Wikisource and
>that the UN resolutions on the site need to go as they are copyright
>violations.

In the absence of an actual claim of fair use I don't see that your
argument purportedly negating its application can have any relevance.
Your paragraph is a series of non-sequiturs.

>I think we also need to reinforce the terms and conditions on the site
>to make it clear that fair use is completely banned for the text
>itself.

Absolutely not. That would carry the implication that all quotations of
any kind from copyright material would not be allowed. Public domain
material which happened to quote copyright material would not be allowed
under those terms. As an obvious example, a work of literary criticism
from the United States whose copyright was not renewed could not be
included if it happened to include passages from literature that did
have its copyrights properly renewed. Your extremist position leads to
an open range of absurd possibilities.

>At the moment users are wilfully misinterpreting ambigous
>terms and conditions.

Please do not confuse ignorance with willfulness. Assume good faith.

>The problem with sites like Wikipedia and
>Wikisource is that many of the users of them do not understand
>copyright law. Where there is a grey area like fair use then we have
>people using wishful thinking to stretch the concept way beyond its
>limits. Particularly with the whole texts reproduced at Wikisource we
>are exposed to potential legal liability with greater risk than at
>Wikipedia.

I am well aware of wishful claims of fair use, but I repeat that they
are not relevant to this discussion. Some of the UN resolutions have
already been on the Wikisource site since its earliest days, but there
has not been a peep from the United Nations itself about this. As long
as a reasonable copyright argument for keeping these resolutions exists
we should keep them. I would take a direct complaint from the United
Nations far more seriously than that from one individual who is suddenly
infected with a bout of copyright paranoia. Given my comments above
regarding usefulness, they could even become convinced that we are doing
them a service that is better than what could develop in their own
diplomatic/bureaucratic system.

Ec