[Foundation-l] Re: new language policy

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 18:31:01 UTC 2005

GerardM wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>I fear the editor who complained is probably right in mentionning sock
>>puppetry... though we can not entirely prove it of course.
>>Which raise the question of how fair is a vote on a controversial
>>language, when half voters are not current participants and may not even
>>be different poeple ?
>>

>>What should we do ?
>>
>>Ant
>

> Hoi,
> When you read many of the nay-sayers, you can read in many of their remarks
> that this many of these language problems are really political. Not only is
> it denied that many of these languages are languages, it is also suggested
> that people who ask for some recognition are extremists that should make do
> with the one and only language that suffices for all.
>
> When you know about these languages, I often wonder what a good reason is
> for supporting a language. One of the languages that is voted down because
> it 'does not exist' is Stellingwerfs. Stellingwerfs has a very active
> language community; a dictionary has been published the bible is being
> translated into Stellingwerfs and now there are these people who think it
> does not need its own wikipedia. Now Stellingwerfs is not as politicial as
> the Spanish languages. Then again take an other infamous example; the nds-nl
> is denied because people consider that it should be part of the nds-de. What
> people do not mention is that the nds-de has a vocal community that insists
> on an orthography that is German oriented. This is a great example of a
> language where there is NO standard orthography. The same can be said for
> Limburgs, there is something of a 'standard' orthography but it does not
> match the language that is actually spoken. The Limburg wikipedia is alive
> and well. It gets mentioned in the press I am really happy with it. However
> if a good example needs to be found of a WIkipedia that also does not have a
> 'standardised' spelling have a look at Neapolitan or Sicilian. The Napolitan
> WIkipedia for instance has already more than 3000 articles.. the amount of
> local involvement is great. It is there because local people are
> entheausiastic about this project.
>
> From my perspective I do not mind to have many wikipedias. I do want
> wikipedias by local people who are interested in doing this. I would welcome
> many projects. We will see what works and what does not. If people who start
> a project steal a page out of the Neapolitan book we will do exceedingly
> well. The argument that we do not need to revive languages is problematic in
> my opinion. The problem is that WE do not revive these languages, it is the
> people wo are the community of this wikipedia who do that. When they do well
> they will become us as well. My point is, do we want to be inclusionist or
> do we want to exclusionists. There is always a reason why we should not do
> something. The point is that it is not you who is doing it, it is you who is

Thanks for your long and detailed answer Gerard.... but it is not the
point I really raise. I absolutely do not want right now to enter into
issues of whether a language should or should not exist, but only in the
issue of "if we make a vote, this vote must be fair. If not, then let us
not do any vote at all". And "if we choose the vote option, how to make
a vote fair" ?

> As to anonymous people voting, might it be possible that they are actually
> be people speaking that language that say they want to get involved? (assume
> good faith) And given all these people who are NOT going to involve
> themselve in a language why would they vote against, what is it to them?
>
> Thanks,
> GerardM

I assume good faith up to a certain point. After some point, this is not
good faith, this is innocence :-)

My problem is that if we start a project because there are 10
supporters, we sort of hope that a certain momentum will exist from the
very beginning. When it actually turns out that only 1 person is behind
10 supports... errrrr.... there is no momentum.

And if a language is started with 10 supports and 5 oppose. And the 10
supports are only one person... is there sense in making a vote at all ?

Ant