[Foundation-l] Re: Cleaning up Wikibooks

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 19 21:36:24 UTC 2005

Any File wrote:

>This definition is not only , in my opinion, not only cumbersome,
>but also open a serious question: What is a textbook?
>
>Just as an example why a cookbook is not a textbook? In many school
>cookbook are used as a textbook. Morover they are used in some small
>lecture course about cooking. What should be consider as a textbook?
>Just what is normally used in American High school?

A joke book could be a text book for a writing course or a drama course
about stand-up comedy

>And should the subject only be limited to normal subject textbook are
>written about?
>
>For instance there exist a lot of book about chess (and many of them
>not only dealt about chess, but are even organized in lesson). Anyway
>I have never seen a textbook about chess (because chess is not taught
>at school).

There have beenany number of self-teaching books about chess.  One type
has you following a game, and rates you on the move that you would make
in any given position.  Chess may not be a part of the standard
curriculum in American high-schools, but there are private schools and
schools in other countries which consider chess an important tool for
developping critical thinking.

Ec