[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects (was Vote to create Wikiversity Vote)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Nov 16 13:03:38 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> The answer to deletionist controversies should not always be to
> establish a new project; it should lie in an attempt to find common
> ground.  That's something which a certain cadre of people on Wikipedia
> refuses to seriously consider.  I don't know what rules the Wikijunior
> people have been violating in Wikibooks, but that is an omnous claim.
> It seems to reflect the usual dynamic conflict between those who want
> clarity and certainty, and those who treasure innovation as a primary
> value.  A project has a serious problem when either of those two gains
> dominance.

The issue I have with Wikijunior is not that it is necessarily violating
Wikibooks policies, but that it exists in its own seperate domain in
many ways with its own set of policies, governed by groups of people
that otherwise have nothing to do with Wikibooks, or at least are not
actively participating in the larger Wikibooks community.  Policy
decisions being made on Meta are being applied to Wikibooks, which IMHO
is especially difficult to deal with, especially when users and even
admins on Wikibooks are not even aware that these decisions are even
being made.  I'm not talking general policies that apply to all
projects, but decisions about just the Wikijunior pages on Wikibooks.
 This is especially difficult when long-term policy discussions are
taking place that a new contributor to Wikijunior has almost no way to
learn about unless they are already very well versed with Wikimedia
politics.  There already is a small but growing community that is
working on just Wikijunior pages and very little else on any other
Wikimedia project.  I don't know of any other comparable situation like
this for any other Wikimedia project.

--
Robert Scott Horning