[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Nov 14 17:40:13 UTC 2005

On 11/14/05, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> There is all this talk about how useful Wikijunior is.  There is a
> domain for http://wikijunior.org  (try it if you don't believe me).
>  There isn't something comparable for Wikicalculus, where the Calculus
> Wikibook is available on a seperate domain, nor am I asking for it
> either.  The point is that Wikijunior is a seperate project using
> Wikibooks as an incubator, and was not started by regular Wikibooks
> contributors.  It is also bypassing the New Project Guidelines, which
> were established prior to the creation of Wikijunior as well.
>
> --
> Robert Scott Horning

You say this as though it was something done intentionally to get
around the new project guidelines.  I followed the early discussions
about Wikijunior, and this doesn't coincide with my memory.  When
has moved to its natural home on Wikibooks" it struck me as the
perfect place for it.  Looking at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikijunior#Relationship_to_Wikibooks
seems to confirm this.

Wikijunior may have grown beyond the scope of Wikibooks, or maybe the
idea of putting it on Wikibooks in the first place was a bad idea, but
the *intention* was never to use Wikibooks as an incubator project.
We can discuss whether or not, in hindsight, it was a good idea, but
saying it was "snuck through the back door" implies things that just
don't seem to be true.

Anthony