[Foundation-l] Re: Wikimedia Foundation website

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 11:00:07 UTC 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Anthere wrote:
> We then go back to the idea of the blog or of commenting spaces.
>
> The current most pressing point imho is that editors can not directly comment
> on news or even on pages. It would be helpful that talk pages are opened to

This is the trouble with trying to have active information flow on closed
wikis.  How about an open wiki, with protected pages, and protected
page-creation?

I would like to see a foundation-website which was an analogue to
Wikisource -- with mission statements, founding papers, official presskits
and bios, the latest brochures and publications and presentations -- and a
well-ordered section of meta (a new namespace?  perhaps just an excellent
portal) devoted to the Foundation.

One reason that the meta main page hasn't developed as beautifully as
other main pages is that it's hard to pin down what it does -- meta has so
many faces.  Something like the eve-online.com main page would be a worthy
experiment, with both foundation meta-info, community info and project
features, statistics, and outside-world news (trophy box notes, press
clippings -- btw, can we move on to a trophy shelf now? )

> Fact is, if nothing is written at all, either the opinion will be that we do
> nothing, or it will be that we are not transparent.

Yes, the best intentions of transparency are only as good as the quality
and quantity of information flow.  Most important is definitely to
encourage more writing, by more people, about more subjects.

SJ