[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects (was Vote to create Wikiversity Vote)

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Nov 13 14:31:22 UTC 2005

> Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> >>I would agree that there is a need for an incubator project.  Clearly
> >>the jump from minor discussion on this list and a minor writeup on the
> >>Meta Wiki to turning on a seperate Wiki domain is much larger than
> >>comparable projects on Wikicities, just for instance.  As far as
> >>Wikicities not being the correct solution, I would have to in general
> >>agree but from everything I've seen that is the current recommended
> >>solution with just about everybody strongly pushed onto Wikicities if
> >>their content doesn't fit a current Wikimedia project.  Even the new
> >>projects proposal page strongly recommends Wikicities.
> >>
> It's an interesting idea.  My I suggest the name "The Wikubator".  With
> "Wikiwomb" one could imagin a wide assortment of Wikisperm ideas
> frantically navigating through Meta looking for recognition. :-)
>
> To go into this domain a proposal would still need to fulfill criteria
> established by Meta, but they could be less rigid.  New language wikis
> could also go through The Wikubator.  To be born as a full Wiki a
> project would need to meet certain requirements.  Not the least of these
> would be a minimum number of main namespace articles, and where another
> language is involved, the full translation of a predetermined list of
> important pages.  Since we would not want any full Wikimedia wiki to be
> a one man show, there could be a criterion that some minimum number of
> contributors (excluding sockpuppets) must each have started a specified
> number of NEW articles.
>
> A project in The Wikubator could stay there indefinitely as long as
> there is continuing activity.  If no-one has edited anything in such a
> project for six months it could be aborted.  For this purpose editing
> would not include obvious vandalism and its removal.
>
> >I can see recommending Wikicities for projects which aren't applicable
> >to Wikimedia at all - a wiki for fictional works for instance.  But
> >for proposed Wikimedia projects which just haven't been fleshed out
> >enough to stand on their own, I don't think it's appropriate to host
> >them on Jimmy and Angela's private server.  You seem to agree with me,
> >and that's good.
> >
> Wikicities could still be used for projects that do not meet Meta's
> insemination criteria.
>
> >>I do want to emphasis, however, that Wikibooks is not the place to do
> >>this either.  This is a need for a whole new project altogether.
> >>

> >Wikibooks isn't the place for incubation of new projects, I agree.
> >And I can see the argument that Wikiversity goes beyond the original
> >scope of Wikibooks.  Essentially I feel that Wikiversity is a superset
> >of Wikibooks.  For that reason I don't really feel comfortable saying
> >that Wikiversity should be a separate project, I'd rather see
> >Wikibooks expanded to include other materials.  But I'd be willing to
> >concede that point, in fact I essentially have.

> [...]

I think we have very different views as to what a Wiki Incubator would
be.  I don't really see the purpose as guaging interest, but more of
answering questions and building a core community.  In that sense I
think something like Wikiversity would be perfect for it - yes,
there's no lack of interest, but there are a number of questions to
the point where approximately 1/3 of Wikimedians don't even think it
should be a project.

I also don't see why a wiki for game cards or for elementary schools
or for (to use another example) dead people wouldn't make a good wiki.
 In fact, at some point or another I've proposed the latter two as
projects.

Finally, whatever Wikicities wants to do is up to it.  We're talking
about a small little site that pretty much no one has heard of.  I
really don't think it matters what they're trying to do.  Wikimedia
should make its policies for Wikimedia, and Wikicities can figure out
how to deal with that.

Anyway, I can't edit on meta, and you seem to have a much different
idea of an incubator wiki anyway.  Besides, the idea has been floating
around for months already.  The cynic in me thinks that the red tape
to create a project is probably too great, especially a project which
threatens to "end up being a fork of" Angela's website.

Anthony