[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 20:05:28 UTC 2005

Soufron's points suggest the foundation avoid approving accreditation or
similar processes; leaving it entirely to community groups.  If someone wanted
to sue the 'editors' for actions by someone with a press pass, they would have
to do exactly that -- just as one would have to sue individual encyclopedia
editors for libel.

> And this leads to my third and more important point. Accreditating people
> will transform the Foundation from being a publisher to becoming an editor...

The foundation is not a publisher afaik, and I don't see how any policy
decided by community members would make it an editor.

SJ

(ps - If you write for EB or publish an article in the Boston Globe, there
  is someone out there protecting you from personal liability.  Not so with
  Wikipedia and sister projects; perhaps we need a neon warning on the edit
  screen, just below the DO NOT SUBMIT COPYRIGHTED WORK WITHOUT PERMISSION.)