[Foundation-l] Hosting scans of the 1911 Britannica on Wikimedia

Brian brian0918 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:35:03 UTC 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>

>>I recently (today) acquired a DVD containing scans of every page
>>of the 1911 Britannica, along with index files for it all,
>>[...]
>>TimStarling specifically asked me to tell you all that he is
>>"confident that the server requirements will be minimal." They
>>would set up a domain name, generate some web pages
>>automatically using the index files, and host the entire set of
>>29,700 files totaling about 4 GB.
>>

>What is suddenly wrong with using Wikimedia Commons and
>Wikisource?  Why do you need a new domain and server just for this
>book?  Didn't you see
>http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_New_Student%27s_Reference_Work

I think they want this to be on a separate domain because not only is
1911EB a famous encyclopedia, Wikipedia has benefitted greatly from it,
and several projects still want its contents. So, they would rather prop
it up and give it a separate space specifically designed for making
1911EB's contents easily accessible.