[Foundation-l] CheckUser questions

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Wed Nov 9 12:27:55 UTC 2005

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
> Although I have not been following this discussion, I was asked this  evening
> to grant 5 arbitrators on the English Wikipedia CheckUser powers.
>
> While the request was made, I think it is sage for us to let it sit there
> for some time to see if there are any valid protests to giving it to these
> individuals. Usually, steward requests can remain for several days until someone
> acts upon them, and I don't see why this should be any different.
>
> I also wonder whether they should be given the power on a permanent or a
> need-to-know basis. That is, should they always have this ability, or should
> they only be given it when a case requires invesigation, and then have it
> removed? Personally, I favor the latter option. I do not think anybody needs to  be
> able to do this in all instances.
>
> I welcome comments.
>
> Danny

I'm CCing this to the English language Wikipedia list as I think we
should get some feedback from the actual community where it is occurring!

I oppose granting it at the moment. I suggest waiting for the
Arbitration Committee elections (or appointments) in December, and
granting it to people who become arbitrators. Two of the people
mentioned above (Kelly and Jayjg) have only temporary positions (as they
were appointed by Jimbo Wales), out of process with how the other
arbitrators were chosen. I think the English language Wikipedia can
survive until the new Arbitration Committee members take their seats.

Chris