[Foundation-l] Re: Hosting scans of the 1911 Britannica on Wikimedia

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 03:55:46 UTC 2005

On 11/9/05, Tim Starling <t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> I suggested EB as an abbreviation, not as a way to avoid
> trademark issues.

The potential trademark issue was brought up on this list last July:
<http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2005-July/003645.html>.
Since then, Wikisource has been mostly using the EB abbreviation, but
there are still  many mentions of the full name, so perhaps it was
decided it wasn't an issue.

> I didn't suggest 1911.wikisource.org because it violates the following RFC
> 1035 recommendation by not starting with a letter:

I didn't know that, and I've got two Wikicities which violate it.

Since Wikisource are already working on this, after being moved away
from Wikibooks, the Wikisource domain might be the best place for it.

See also:
http://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium/Archives/Apr_2005_-_Aug_2005#1911_Wikipedia
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_new_projects#1911_Wikipedia
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/1911wikipedia