[Foundation-l] CheckUser questions

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Wed Nov 9 03:05:41 UTC 2005

Hello

Although I have not been following this discussion, I was asked this  evening
to grant 5 arbitrators on the English Wikipedia CheckUser powers.

While the request was made, I think it is sage for us to let it sit there
for some time to see if there are any valid protests to giving it to these
individuals. Usually, steward requests can remain for several days until someone
acts upon them, and I don't see why this should be any different.

I also wonder whether they should be given the power on a permanent or a
need-to-know basis. That is, should they always have this ability, or should
they only be given it when a case requires invesigation, and then have it
removed? Personally, I favor the latter option. I do not think anybody needs to  be
able to do this in all instances.

I welcome comments.

Danny