[Foundation-l] Re: Wikinews is giving out press credentials

TOR tor at oak.rpg.pl
Tue Nov 8 20:31:36 UTC 2005

Any File wrote:
>>Credentials are given by organizations - not by just some people on the
>>Internet (which is all any Wikimedia project is by itself). Using that term -
>>in the real world where it has a specific meaning - to describe that process is
>>very misleading.
>

> In normal newspapers also the emplyment status and the wages are given
> by the organization
> More precisely the credential is given by the same organization is
> given by who recruit the journalist. Since here the "journalist" is
> not recruit by the Board, there is no reason why it should the only
> one entitle to give out creential.

I think you got mav very wrong here. He never said the Board should be
the one giving out credentials. In fact, he stressed that the current
process is good and the only thing it lacks is "officiality". To be
official as far as logo and trademark usage is concerned there has to be
a green light on the part of the trademark holder, i.e. WMF. The Boards
role, as I understand it, would be simply to legitimize the decisions
made by the community and, if something happens to go awfully wrong,
step in and save the day.

> In my Opinion what is misleading is the way normal journalist consider
> themselves.
>
> Why should journalist be treated in a different way of normal people
> when asking for informations?

One step at a time, please. Consider: We're changing the media world
simply by participating in this project. Article by article, step by
step. Do not try to make big leaps, it's not gonna work. Not in this
case, at least.

--
Best,
Łukasz 'TOR' Garczewski