[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Traroth traroth at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 8 13:42:21 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> a écrit :

>Credentials are given by organizations - not by just some people on the
>Internet (which is all any Wikimedia project is by itself). Using that term -
>in the real world where it has a specific meaning - to describe that process is
>very misleading. Using that term and the Wikinews mark implies an official
>connection that does not exist. That is dishonest and an abuse of the mark.

Does it mean Wikinews is not an organisation in itself ? I disagree. It is. And that means that Wikinews can choose the way it wants to give out credentials.

>IMO, the board needs to get involved via an oversight process and they also
>should give permission for credentialed Wikinewies to use the Wikiness logo and
>name on press badges (the foundation could even create the badges at cost). The
>oversight will be almost all hands off - the only real power it would have is
>the power of immediately removing credentials in egregious cases or shutting
>down the whole process if it gets out of hand.

When I read Angela, I think the Board is actually doing it : they let the Wikinews community decide. And I don't understand what is this "trademark" story. What the link between a trademark problem and a credential problem ?

>Nor should it ever. But the implication is that Wikinews itself credentialed
>these people. Wikinews is not an organization in any legal sense and thus can't
>grant anything. The Wikinews community, however, can be - if the board agrees -
>to be its agent in the selection of trusted users for accreditation.

You got it.

Traroth